Heart disease is among one of the most deadly killers in the world, killing on average 2,200 thousand Americans a day. These numbers are extremely devastating, and one of the key risks for developing heart disease is clogged arteries. Clogging of the arteries doesn’t happen overnight, and can be caused by diet, genetics and lifestyle choices. However, there are foods that can help unclog your arteries of plaque buildup:
- Garlic- According to studies, garlic can prevent coronary artery calcification and blood clots, while garlic powder can reduce the buildup of nanoplaque.
- Chia Seeds- When incorporating chia seeds into your daily diet, this superfood can help keep arteries clear by regulating blood pressure, lowering triglycerides and reducing LDL cholesterol.
- Coconut Oil- Despite popular belief that all saturated fats are bad, a regular consumption of coconut oil can help reduce plaque buildup in the arteries.
- Broccoli- This vegetable is loaded with vitamin K which can help prevent the hardening and calcification of arteries. Broccoli can also help prevent oxidation of LDL cholesterol which can lead to serious heart problems.
- Avocado- Studies have shown that avocado can lead to improved blood cholesterol, while lowering LDL and triglycerides and increasing the HDL, the good cholesterol that help keep arteries clear.
- Asparagus- Full of fiber and minerals, asparagus is one of the best veggies for clearing arteries. Asparagus can also help lower cholesterol prevent blood clots that could potentially cause serious illness.
- Green Tea- Green tea contains high levels of catechins, which is an antioxidant plant phenol that hinders the absorption of bad cholesterol during digestion. It can also help reduces blocked arteries and improve blood-lipid levels.
- Cold-water Fish- Fish rich in healthy fats such as tuna, salmon, mackerel, and sardines can help clear arteries. Eating fish twice a week can help reduce inflammation and plaque buildup that can lead to heart disease.
- Turmeric- Turmeric’s main component is curcumin which a powerful anti-inflammatory. By adding turmeric to your diet it can help reduce inflammation and damage to your arterial walls which are leading cause to plaque buildup and blood clots.
- Cranberries- Full of antioxidants, cranberries can help improve cardiovascular health by reducing LDL cholesterol and raising HDL cholesterol levels.
If you would like to learn more about what you can do to stay heart healthy, contact Dr. Gordon C. Gunn at 714-912-2211 or visit our website at www.gordongunnmd.com for more information.
Dr. Gordon Gunn also proudly serves Buena Park, La Mirada, Yorba Linda, Diamond Bar, Walnut and all surrounding areas.