October is National Breast Cancer awareness month. Breast Cancer is one of the most common cancers among American women, affecting around 230,000 women each year. Raising breast cancer awareness is extremely important as it doesn’t only affect women; but it also affects around 2,300 each year as well. Breast cancer does not discriminate; it affects people of all ages and races. One of the first steps we can take towards effectively identifying and treating breast cancer is by taking preventive action and being aware of the symptoms that come along with this terrible disease. The following list includes breast cancer symptoms that we should all be aware of:
Change in the way breast or nipple feels
- Nipple tenderness, lump or thickening in or near your breast or underarm area
- Change in the texture of your skin or enlargement of the pores of your breasts
- A lump in your breast (even if it’s small make sure to see professional for a screening)
Change in Breast or Nipple Appearance
- Any unexplained change in size or shape of your breast
- Dimpling anywhere on your breast
- Unexplained swelling of your breast
- Unexplained Shrinkage of your breast
- Recent unexplained asymmetry of your breast (its common for women to have one breast larger than the other)
- Your nipple is slightly inward or inverted
- Skin of your breast, areola, or nipple that becomes red, scaly or swollen or resemble the skin of an orange
Any Nipple Discharge
- Particularly if you have clear discharge or bloody discharge
Most times these symptoms are not due to cancer, but if you have any breast cancer symptoms you should be seen by your doctor immediately to be sure you’re healthy and cancer free. Even if you haven’t experienced any symptoms, it’s still incredibly important to be seen for regular screenings. Your doctor is always able to check for breast cancer before you have any noticeable symptoms.
To schedule a breast cancer screening, contact Dr. Gordon C. Gunn MD in Fullerton, CA at 714-912-2211 or visit our website at www.gordongunnm.com for more information regarding our services.
Dr. Gordon Gunn proudly serves Buena Park, La Mirada, Yorba Linda, Diamond Bar, Walnut and all surrounding areas.