Did you know that heart disease is the number one cause of death in the US? Heart attacks are commonly caused by the buildup of plaque in the arteries, which leads to the blockage of oxygen and blood flow to the heart muscle. It’s extremely important to learn what steps you can take to improve and manage your heart health to live a long healthy life. To help you do so I have provided five ways you can go about improving your heart health:
- Stay Active- Staying active doesn’t mean you have to work out for an endless amount of hours. You can do anything physical that keeps your heart rate up for at least 30 minutes. Need Ideas? Try jogging, walking, biking or hiking.
- Stop Smoking- Most people know that if you are smoking tobacco products you are more like to develop heart disease. So if you do smoke…drop the habit and quick, for your hearts sake.
- Shut Down- When you are sleep that’s when your body is recovering and rebooting. While you sleep you heart rate is lowered which gives your heart a much needed break. Make it a priority to get a proper amount of sleep.
- Chill Out- Learning how to relax does wonders for your heart. When you are under pressure your body ramps up adrenaline, which can exhaust your heart. Need ideas on how to handle stress? Try doing yoga, going on a walk, listening to calming music, or even talking to a trust friend or professional.
- Healthy Eats- The way to eat heart healthy hasn’t changed in hundreds of years, so the classis choices are still you best. Try incorporating whole grains, legumes, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds into your diet.
Now is the time to start becoming aware of your heart health. If you have questions or concerns regarding your heart health, contact Dr. Gordon C. Gunn, MD in Fullerton, CA at 714-912-2211 or visit www.gordongunnmd.com for more information.
Dr. Gordon Gunn also proudly serves Buena Park, La Mirada, Yorba Linda, Diamond Bar, Walnut and all surrounding areas.