National Physical Fitness and Sports Month is a great time to spread the word about the benefits of getting active. Getting regular physical activity can benefit everyone – children, adolescents, and adults alike.
Dr. Gordon Gunn is teaming up with the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports, & Nutrition in honor of National Physical Fitness and Sports Month. During the month of May, he challenges you to include 30 minutes of physical activity every day.
Did you know that regular physical activity increases your chances of living a longer, healthier life? It also reduces your risk for high blood pressure, heart disease, and some types of cancer. Yet in California nearly 53.1% don’t get enough physical activity.
The Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans recommend that people:
- Aim for 2 hours and 30 minutes of moderate aerobic activity each week. Moderate activity includes things like walking fast, dancing, swimming, and raking leaves.
- Do muscle-strengthening activities – like lifting weights and using exercises bands – at least 2 days a week.
No matter what shape you are in, together we can rise to the challenge to get more active during the month of May!
Here are just some of the benefits of physical activity:
- Children and adolescents – Physical activity can improve muscular fitness and bone and heart health.
- Adults – Physical activity can lower risk for heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and some types of cancer.
- Older adults – Physical activity can lower the risk of falls and improve cognitive functioning (like judgment and learning).
Call Dr. Gordon Gunn and make an appointment to see what his Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Program can do for you. Call Dr. Gordon Gunn at (714) 912-2211 or visit our website.