Now that we have begun another year, it’s time to re-evaluate our current health practices. Not only does this include your diet and fitness routines, but every aspect of your lifestyle. Your overall wellness is a dynamic process that changes with age and circumstance. Understanding your current state of wellness improves your knowledge, helps you set goals and empowers you to make better choices for a healthier life.
We all think stress is a typical part of life we cannot avoid, but stress can greatly affect your wellness. Understanding more about stress and how to limit your stress can help lead you to a path of wellness. Investigating symptoms of stress. Chronic stress is believed to raise the risk of increased blood pressure (hypertension), heart disease, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), chronic back pain, depression and a reduced immune response.
Common symptoms of stress:
- Rapid heartbeat
- Difficulty sleeping
- Recurring nightmares
- Loss of concentration
Effective steps for dealing with stress:
- Discuss your symptoms and your feelings about them
- Keep a diary to gain insight into your concerns and emotional patterns
- Exercise regularly engaging in both aerobic and weight training
- Practice relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation deep breathing exercises
- Maintain your immune system by eating well balanced meals, exercising regularly and
- getting sufficient sleep
- Avoid destructive behaviors, including overindulgence of alcohol, caffeine or smoking
- Seek professional help if any of your symptoms persist, interfering with your sense of well-being and/or your personal/work relationships.
If you would like to take the first step towards a stress-free lifestyle, contact Dr. Gordon C. Gunn MD in Fullerton, CA at 714-912-2211 to schedule an appointment today. Or visit www.gordongunnm.com for additional information regarding women’s health.
Dr. Gordon Gunn proudly serves Buena Park, La Mirada, Yorba Linda, Diamond Bar, Walnut and all surrounding areas.