In this fast-paced world, we are all juggling responsibilities at home, work, and in our personal lives which cause us stress. Stress is a normal part of being human, and helps us navigate the world in its own way. Yet, chronic stress can be very detrimental to our health and well-being. Chronic stress is believed to raise the risk of increased blood pressure (hypertension), heart disease, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), chronic back pain, and depression, and inhibit our immune response. The symptoms of stress can stem from a variety of factors, but overcoming it is key.
Common Symptoms of Stress
- Rapid heartbeat
- Difficulty sleeping
- Recurring nightmares
- Loss of concentration
If you are experiencing an undue amount of daily stress, we invite you to consider the following.
- Exercise regularly engaging in both aerobic and weight training.
- Practice relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation deep breathing exercises.
- Maintain your immune system by eating well-balanced meals, exercising regularly, and getting sufficient sleep.
- Discuss your symptoms and your feelings about them.
- Keep a diary to gain insight into your concerns and emotional patterns.
- Avoid destructive behaviors, including overindulgence of alcohol, caffeine, or smoking.
Stress happens, but it’s important to recognize the symptoms, discover the causes, and reach out for help in navigating away from stress to maintain your quality of life.
If you would like more information about dealing with stress, contact Dr. Gordon C. Gunn MD at 714-912-2211 or visit www.gordongunnmd.com to schedule an appointment today.
Dr. Gunn proudly serves Fullerton and all surrounding areas.