This is an important part of your bladder-retraining program. When followed consistently you will have significantly improved control over your urgency symptoms, including any urge incontinence. This program started when you monitored the amount and the type of fluids you consumed each day in your Voiding Diary. A normal fluid intake is between 1500-2000 cc (50-70 oz.) per day, which should produce 1200-1500 cc (40-50 oz.) of urine output. The normal bladder capacity before you feel any sensation of urge is about 300 cc (10 oz.). Normal voiding volumes are 210-300 cc (7-10 oz.) with the first morning voiding usually being the largest at 400-500 cc. Your Voiding Diary record will have indicated if any modification is required in the volume or type of fluids you drink.
Timed Voiding Bladder Program
Your goal with the Timed Voiding Program is to increase your bladder’s capacity and prolong the time interval between urinating up to a minimum of three or more hours. The initial time interval between urinating will be determined by the frequency of urination as recorded in your Voiding Diary.
Attached is a “Voiding Chart for Bladder Retraining” on which you will chart your daily progress for the first week. [Please make five additional blank copies of the Voiding Chart to insure you have a total of six weekly charts.] The Chart is a daily record of your Scheduled (predetermined voiding interval), Unscheduled (when you are unable to suppress the urge without the risk of accidentally urinating), and Accidental
Follow the instructions on the chart as indicated: (incontinence) urinating episodes.
- Fill in the following on each sheet: Your Name, Date, and Voiding Interval (Hrs.) at the beginning of each week.
- Fill in the time for any of the types of urinating (Scheduled, Unscheduled, or Accidental) and place a check mark
- Dark Gray Column : Urinating at the Scheduled Time.
- Light Gray Column: Urinating at any Unscheduled Time. (when you cannot suppress the urge)
- White Column: If you Accidentally urinate (incontinence incident), place a checkmark at the time it occurred and add a “D” for Damp or “W” for Wet beside the check mark to indicate the relative amount of urine loss.
Keep your Chart nearby along with a pencil and a clock or timer. Most importantly, maintain your determination to stay with this six-week program.
Contact Dr. Gordon Gunn today at (714) 912-2211 to schedule an appointment.
Dr. Gordon Gunn also proudly serves Buena Park, La Mirada, Yorba Linda, Diamond Bar, Walnut, and surrounding areas.