Let’s face it – life is stressful. Unfortunately, there is little we can do to change the circumstances. Health problems, money issues and personal relationships can all be contributing factors to your stress. But it’s summertime – a time to relax and enjoy the sunshine with loved ones. If you find that your lifestyle leaves you very stressed out, it is important to recognize the signs and symptoms in order to rectify the situation before it turns into something much worse. Understanding your current state of wellness improves your knowledge, helps you set goals and empowers you to make better choices for a healthier life. Here are common symptoms of stress:
- Rapid heartbeat
- Difficulty sleeping
- Recurring nightmares
- Loss of concentration
It is important to investigate symptoms of stress as prolonged stress poses a potential health threat. Chronic stress is believed to raise the risk of increased blood pressure (hypertension), heart disease, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), chronic back pain, depression and a reduced immune response. Because of these additional health problems, try to lower the risk by adding these suggestions into your daily lifestyle:
- Discuss your symptoms and your feelings about them
- Keep a diary to gain insight into your concerns and emotional patterns
- Exercise regularly engaging in both aerobic and weight training
- Practice relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation deep breathing exercises
- Maintain your immune system by eating well balanced meals, exercising regularly and getting sufficient sleep
- Avoid destructive behaviors, including overindulgence of alcohol, caffeine or smoking
- Seek professional help if any of your symptoms persist, interfering with your sense of well-being and/or your personal/work relationships
If you would like more information on stress prevention, contact Dr. Gordon C. Gunn MD at 714-912-2211 or visit www.gordongunnmd.com to schedule an appointment today.
Dr. Gordon Gunn proudly serves Fullerton and all surrounding areas.