October marks Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which is an annual campaign to increase awareness of this disease. While several woman may be aware of breast cancer, very few take the steps to have a plan to detect the disease in its early stages and encourage other women to take the same steps. Taking the proper steps to detect breast cancer is vital for women’s health. Breast cancer is one of the most common type of cancers in women. In fact, about one in eight women born in the U.S. will develop breast cancer at some point in their lives. Those statistics are scary, however, as I mentioned earlier, there are steps that you can take to become aware of the symptoms that come along with this terrible disease. To help you detect the symptoms of breast cancer I have complied a list of the signs and symptoms that all of us should be aware of.
Change in the way breast or nipple feels
- Nipple tenderness, lump or thickening in or near your breast or underarm area
- Change in the texture of your skin or enlargement of the pores of your breasts
- A lump in your breast (even if it’s small be sure to seek professional help for a screening)
Change in Breast or Nipple Appearance
- Any unexplained change in size or shape of your breast
- Dimpling anywhere on your breast
- Unexplained swelling of your breast
- Unexplained Shrinkage of your breast
- Unexplained asymmetry of your breast (it’s common for women to have one breast larger than the other)
- Your nipple is slightly inward or inverted
- Skin of your breast, areola, or nipple that becomes red, scaly or swollen or resemble the skin of an orange
Any Nipple Discharge
- Particularly if you have clear discharge or bloody discharge
Most of the time these symptoms are not due to cancer, but if you have any breast cancer symptoms you should be seen by your doctor immediately to be sure you are healthy and cancer free. Even if you haven’t experienced any symptoms, it’s still vital to be seen for regular screenings. Your doctor is always able to screen for breast cancer before you have any noticeable symptoms.
If you would like to take the first step towards good health, contact Dr. Gordon C. Gunn MD in Fullerton, CA at 714-912-2211 to schedule an appointment today .Or visit www.gordongunnm.com for additional information regarding women’s health.
Dr. Gordon Gunn proudly serves Buena Park, La Mirada, Yorba Linda, Diamond Bar, Walnut and all surrounding areas.